The 1970s were an important time for the development of folk rock music, with many artists creating some of the most memorable and influential music of the decade. This genre was a fusion of traditional folk music and rock music, with acoustic instruments, such as guitar and banjo, being used alongside electric instruments, like bass and drums.
One of the most notable and influential bands of the '70s folk rock scene was Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young. Their intricate harmonies and socially conscious lyrics made them one of the most important voices of the era. Songs like "Teach Your Children," "Ohio," and "Woodstock" are just a few examples of their enduring legacy.
Another band that made a significant impact in the '70s folk rock scene was The Eagles. Their blend of country and rock influences created a sound that was unique and enduring. Their hit song "Hotel California" is a prime example of their distinctive style.
Fleetwood Mac is another band that deserves a mention for their contributions to the '70s folk rock scene. Their self-titled album from 1975 was a breakthrough success, and featured hits like "Rhiannon" and "Landslide," both of which have become classics.
Joni Mitchell is another important figure in the '70s folk rock scene. Her introspective and poetic songwriting, combined with her unique vocal style, made her a standout artist of the era. Her album "Blue" is considered a classic and has influenced countless artists in the decades since its release.
Bob Dylan is another artist who was a major player in the '70s folk rock scene, having been a major force in the folk music revival of the 1960s. His albums "Blood on the Tracks" and "Desire" from the '70s are considered some of his best work, and feature songs like "Tangled Up in Blue" and "Hurricane," respectively.
Other notable '70s folk rock artists include James Taylor, Jackson Browne, Neil Young, and Joan Baez, among others. Each of these artists contributed to the development and evolution of the genre in their own unique ways, creating a rich and diverse tapestry of music that continues to be celebrated and revered to this day.
- "Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young - Teach Your Children (Official Music Video)." YouTube, uploaded by Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young, 18 February 2019, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2sAHiR0rkJg
- "The Eagles - Hotel California (Official Music Video)." YouTube, uploaded by The Eagles, 24 October 2015, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqPtz5qN7HM
- "Fleetwood Mac - Landslide (Official Music Video)." YouTube, uploaded by Fleetwood Mac, 26 October 2018, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmIO8cPp_Nw
- "Joni Mitchell - Blue (1971) Full Album." YouTube, uploaded by Music Life, 23 July 2018, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6JObgR8nUw
- "Bob Dylan - Tangled Up In Blue (Audio)." YouTube, uploaded by Bob Dylan, 10 October 2015, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YwSZvHqf9qM