During the production and post-production of a movie, the screenwriter plays an important role in ensuring that the story and characters are brought to life on screen as envisioned. Here are some of the key tasks that a screenwriter may undertake during these phases:
- Production: During the production phase, the screenwriter may be involved in various aspects of filmmaking such as casting, rehearsals, and on-set rewrites. The screenwriter may work with the director and actors to ensure that the dialogue and actions are authentic to the characters and story.
Source: “Screenwriting for Film and Television” by William Miller
- Continuity: In order to maintain consistency throughout the film, the screenwriter may also work closely with the script supervisor to ensure that the script is being followed and that scenes are shot in the right order.
Source: “The Screenwriter’s Bible” by David Trottier
- Post-production: During the post-production phase, the screenwriter may be involved in reviewing and providing feedback on the rough cut and subsequent edits of the film. The screenwriter may also work with the editor to ensure that the story is being told in the most effective way possible.
Source: “The Art of Screenwriting” by William Packard
- ADR: In some cases, the screenwriter may also be involved in the process of automated dialogue replacement (ADR), where actors re-record their lines in post-production. The screenwriter may provide guidance to the actors to ensure that the lines are being delivered in a way that is consistent with the characters and story.
Source: “Writing Movies for Fun and Profit” by Thomas Lennon and Robert Ben Garant
- Marketing: The screenwriter may also be involved in promoting the film through interviews, press events, and other marketing activities. The screenwriter may work with the studio to ensure that the message being conveyed is consistent with the story and characters.
Source: “The Screenwriter’s Guide to Agents and Managers” by Chad Gervich
Overall, the screenwriter’s role during the production and post-production of a movie can be quite varied and may involve collaborating with various individuals and departments to ensure that the film is a success.